Today you are one month old.
It’s hard to believe it’s been 4 whole weeks since you came into our lives. 4 weeks since I first held you in my arms, pink as can be 🙂 And 4 of the most challenging yet amazing weeks of our lives. It’s hard to remember what life was like before you arrived. But we both agree that it certainly wasn’t as eventful as it is now!
Day by day, we can see you growing before our very eyes. What once was a fragile little blob is now turning into a much stronger baby. You are showing much more head control when we hold you and your legs and arms are very good at pushing Mommy away, especially during mealtime! You certainly impressed us from day one with your strength during tummy time and you blew us away when you rolled from your belly to your back at only 13 days!! So we’re not surprised at the progress you’ve made. Daddy and I know you are going to continue to impress us with your strength and determination, in all facets of life. Next up: stair climbing 😉
Your personality is definitely starting to develop. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen a few smiles sneak out of that mouth in the past couple of days. I think they call those “social smiles.” I can’t wait until they happen without prompting. Before I know it, you’ll probably be babbling all the time! I suppose I should enjoy these “quiet” talk-free days while I still can 🙂
You are still sleeping in your cradle, but Mommy and Daddy are considering the big move to your crib soon. Since your nursery is just down the hall from ours, it shouldn’t be a huge transition. But people have told us that the earlier the move, the less of a struggle later on. Plus better sleep for everyone! I think you’re almost ready!
Speaking of sleeping, you seem to be getting along pretty well. After your nighttime feeding (usually around 10-11pm), you have no trouble falling asleep. Sometimes you prefer a bottle at night (3-4 oz!), but either way you’re a good eater. You’re still not a huge fan of your swaddle sacks, but I think you’re getting used to them by now. Lessens the flailing arms and interrupted sleep 😉 We can expect you to wake up somewhere between 2-4am for a snack, and then it’s back to bed until around 7. I’ve never had a newborn before, but my sources tell me this is a pretty typical sleep pattern. Sometimes you surprise us with longer stretches, which we certainly appreciate!
Your daytime napping is still somewhat unpredictable, but I can see outlines of a routine starting to form. You still like spending time in your Mamaroo and have been enjoying riding around in the Moby Wrap with Mommy! She is embracing all the baby snuggles you give her, knowing very well that these newborn days won’t last forever.
Physically you are definitely coming into your own skin. Gone are the days of your wrinkly legs and back. Rolls are finally starting to form and your cheeks have certainly plumped out. Grandpa says we need to get you on the sit-up program 😉 You’ve also been shedding your outer layer of skin for the past few weeks and Mommy can’t WAIT for that to stop. Ruins all your dark outfits 😉
- Weight: 9 lbs 15 oz!! (from 7 lbs 11 oz at birth)
- Height: 22 1/4 inches (from 20 1/2 inches)
- Head circumference: 15 inches (from 14 inches)
- Rolling over (8/3/13)
- Lost umbilical cord (8/10/13)
- First bath (8/11/13)
- Social smiles
Things you like:
- Mother Goose
- Car rides! You always take these opportunities for a good nap.
- Walks in the park (esp when Daddy and Gator come along!)
- Laying on your blanket watching TV
- Allie kisses
- Face Time with Gigi & GP
- Being held
- Your excellent wardrobe. You can still fit in newborn sizes but you’re definitely starting to fill out more and more! 3 months, here you come!
Things you DON’T like:
- Hiccups (sheesh, they’re violent!)
- Gas pains (thank goodness for Mylicon)
- Sitting in poopy diapers. Meh.
- Sh**y pants 😉 All out of love. And truth!!
Exciting upcoming events:
- First road trip to Michigan over Labor Day! Time to meet the extended family!
- Pseudo newborn photoshoot with Jaime!
Things Mommy is looking forward to:
- Getting clearance to exercise and being able to take you for rides in your BOB stroller! It’s getting dusty in the basement. Fingers crossed for next week!
- Anniversary date night with Daddy this Friday!
- Scott & Caity’s wedding!
- Establishing more of an eat/sleep/nap routine
- Progress with breastfeeding (it’s definitely harder than she thought!)
- Continuing to watch you grow and gain more personality
- Getting in as many baby snuggles as possible 🙂
It’s hard to believe in 4 short weeks you’ve gone from this,,,
,,, to this
Emery James,, we love you so much and can’t wait to see what’s next for our little man! Keep the good times coming.