Through ups and downs, sadness and fun, it’s SO exciting to say,,, you are finally ONE!!!
As I sit down to write this, I’m realizing that for the first time all year, I didn’t get out your monthly sticker and take your official 12 month pictures. I guess it had something to do with the awesome festivities that took place to celebrate your big day that got me distracted! Not to mention “awesome” just barely scratches the surface of this past weekend. And Mama will talk about them soon enough. But this letter is all about you and your very first year of life. Yay!!
PS,, those pictures WILL still be taken 😉
Oh, my darling boy. I just can’t believe you’re a year old already. Where has the time gone?! Your mama spent so many days leading up to July 21st just reliving the moments last year when we were SO anxiously waiting for your arrival. Those long walks in the park, cleaning, preparing, eating crazy things to get labor started,,, It feels like just yesterday I was writing you this letter just as we were admitted to the hospital. To think we still had no idea if you were a boy or a girl! You took your sweet time coming into the world and ended up arriving 5 days after you were supposed to. And you were loved on so hard from the start. And to this day, that love has not wavered. In fact, it’s grown stronger each and every day. How could it not? You have turned into the most amazing little boy before our very eyes. Strong-willed, smart, handsome, curious, funny, lovable, squeezable, kissable, you. We couldn’t ask for anything more.
So! This month has been fun. From our latest trip to Michigan, to all the fun summer activities (biking, swimming, lunching), and not to mention all the party planning (!), we’ve certainly been keeping busy this month. But not too busy to watch you continue to grow. You’re on the move constantly. Crawling, pulling, climbing. You don’t like sitting still much anymore, which is great because you’re out exploring the world. But it’s also sad for Daddy and I because we’re losing that snuggly boy we loved so much. When it’s time to go to sleep (nap or bedtime), you lay your head on Mo the Monkey for just a few seconds in our arms, but quickly start squirming, so we lay you down and your crib where you put yourself to sleep. Sometimes it can take 45 minutes, other times it takes only seconds. But you almost always get there by yourself, which makes us very proud. You’re still sleeping up to 12 hours a night and always wake up quietly and happy 🙂 Such a good boy.
You’re also a great player! With all the new toys you’ve received for your birthday, your playroom is certainly filling up. And you’re loving ALL of them. Especially the musical ones. You’ve turned into quite the lil dancer, bopping and swaying at the first sounds of music. It’s pretty adorable and the best part is it makes you smile so big. Nothing beats the sheer pleasure that comes from watching you do the simplest things. You’re very content playing on your own most of the time, but you sure do love company. Always observant when kids (& adults) are on the scene. God willing you’ll have your very own friend to play with someday 😉
You’re still a big eater and will take snacks at any time of the day. You’re also still nursing (!) once a day. It’s hard to believe we’ve been going strong for a whole year. You’re definitely a chunky BF baby!
If I had to summarize you in one word at one year old, it would be “unstoppable.” Sure I could’ve chosen the obvious “adorable” or “awesome,” but the prior describes you now and what I see from you in the future. And it makes me smile knowing that you will be exactly what the world needs someday. I mean, you’re exactly what your Daddy I needed, so it just fits 🙂
This last year has been quite the adventure for your Mama. Though initially she never regretted her decision to stay home with you, there were definitely times when she thought she wasn’t cut out for it. It hasn’t always been a walk in the park. But as time went on, and we became more of a “unit,” things got better. Now she can’t imagine doing anything else and wish everyone could have the type of incredible experience she’s had. Though you are more special than most, E (just your Mama talking)!
One Year Stats:
- Weight: 24 lbs 2 oz (up from 18 lbs 8 oz at 9 months!! Nothing like jumping from 18th –> 70th %ile in 3 months!!)
- Height: 30″ (from 28.5″, 58th %ile)
- Head circ: 18.5″ (from 17.5″, 69th %ile)
- You’re still sporting size 12-18 month clothes comfortably.
- Clapping (you just woke up one day and started doing it!)
- Babbling TONS. Your favorite phrase, “Ladi Dadi.” (just like Snoop Dogg :))
- Climbing stairs.
- Cruising the hallways.
- First Fourth of July fireworks & bounce house!
- First bike ride in your new Thule bike trailer!
- First tornado warning and subsequent trip to the basement “bomb shelter.” Didn’t phase you much, as you can see.
- First time meeting the Dalai Lama 😉
- First black eye, shortly followed by your second.
- “SO big!”
- “Who’s ____’s best buddy?” (you tap your chest as to say, ‘me!’)
- Words: Dada, Ah (for Allie), and the occasional Mama (though she hasn’t heard it loud and clear yet!)
- Things you understand: “No,” “buh-uh,” and “bottle.”
- Holding your bottle and sippy cup all by yourself!
Things You Like:
- Playing with your sock basket and whipping them across the room.
- Hanging with your grandparents.
- My iPhone.
- When Mommy makes crazy noises, like snorting. You love that one.
- Putting the lid on your bottle when you’re “all done!”
- Eating finger foods. New foods this month include mushrooms, peaches, oranges, and solid green beans. I can’t even remember the last time you ate off a spoon!
- Babysitters! You spent some time with Lora in Michigan while Mom & Dad had a date and had Dominic and Angie over while Mom & Dad were getting haircuts. You’ve been very well behaved for everyone who’s watched you so far, which is fantastic.
Things You Don’t Like:
- Being sick. You had another bout of congestion this month, which Mom thinks was a little cold virus.
- You still hate being wiped down after meals.
- Diaper changes are still a challenge, but if you’ve got something in your hands to keep you occupied, you do fine.
- Bathtime at Gigi & GPop’s. You screamed bloody murder every single time we tried bathing you in Michigan, which was crazy because you had taken tons of baths in there before!! Once we got back home, you were fine in your normal tub. So weird!
Places We’ve Been This Month:
- Fort Wayne to celebrate your cousin’s birthday.
Exciting Upcoming Events:
- More summer fun!
Things Mommy is Looking Forward To:
- Training for her upcoming half marathons.
- Tom Petty concert.
- 6th wedding anniversary!
- Continuing to decorate the new house!
Emery James,, happy, happy first birthday to you. May every year that follows be as beautiful as this one. Thank you for blessing our lives so sweetly. We can’t wait to read you these letters someday soon. WE LOVE YOU!!!
Mommy (& Daddy!)