Dear Emery, E, “Emmie,,” buddy, bub, goose,,
To preface: I don’t know if I can get through this letter without getting sappy, but by-golly I’m going to try!
It truly feels like yesterday that you first came into our lives. I was just telling my friend today how vivid the memories of those first few days with you are. I will always remember when I first saw your sweet face in the operating room. And though I have a hard time remembering how it felt to carry you around in my big belly, I do remember all the jabs and the heartburn you caused (I think I financed Tums’ gross income in 2013). I also remember how long we waited for you to arrive. It felt like forever! And to now think that it’s been an entire two years since those days of waiting is mind-boggling. And a little sad for Mama just because time has gone so stinkin’ fast!!
But even though it may be sad sad, it’s also so, SO exciting! You’re TWO, E!!! I’m so proud of you!! & since we’ve officially reached this milestone birthday of yours, your mama felt it fitting to put down in writing all the things you do, love, and destroy 😉 Ready, set, GO!!
Two Year Stats: I truly have no idea where you are on the weight/ height charts and won’t know until your ped appt next week. But you are certainly a chunky monkey!! You wear mostly 3-4Ts and size 6-7 shoes. Mama has a hard time snapping your swim diaper around your thunder thighs so mostly it goes half undone. You are growing like a weed on the regular. I can’t believe the things you can reach now – kitchen counters included! Nothing is safe from your paws!
Update! You are 34 lbs (96th%) and 34.75 inches (59th%).
Sleep: Some things never change. And that certainly goes for your sleep habits. Boy, you just love to sleep! You are currently waking up anywhere between 7-8a, down for a nap around 1p which lasts anywhere from 2-4 hours (right?!), then down to bed between 8-9p. When I started writing this last week, you were still taking your pac at naps and bedtime. But as of your official birthday, you are officially pac-free! Wahoo!! Now, I may be jumping the gun a bit because it has only been one sleep since it’s been gone, but you didn’t wake up once looking for it and you just went down for your nap without a problem. You still have your two Mo’s and your blankie, both of which are sleepy time staples.
Food: What don’t you like?! Seriously. Instead of listing every. single. food. you enjoy, I’ll break down your favorites by meals.
- Breakfast: pancakes (w/ bananas or blueberries), chocolate chip waffles, Chobani yogurt tubes, bagel + cream cheese, toast + jam, bananas, oatmeal cups, scrambled eggs + bacon!
- Lunch: hot dogs, “noos” (noodles), grilled cheese, PB+J, rice, fries, chicken fingers
- Dinner: any of the above, plus usually anything mama is cooking!
- Snacks: “potsies” (pretzels), “fishies,” “cheeps,” fruit, applesauce/ yogurt pouches, carrots, peppers, “dips” (guac/ hummus/ salsa)
- Drinks: “mulk” and juice are your favorites, but you’re thankfully still into “wawa” too!
- Dessert: “popsies” (not to be confused with potsies) or “ascreem” and of course cake!
Media: Of course you love your media! That means all the books, apps and shows you love to ask me for.
- Books: You love all things Sandra Boynton (Belly Button Book, Wake Up!, Barnyard Dance), the Llama Llama series, Monsters A to Z, any book with cars or “choo-choos”
- TV: Daniel Tiger, “George,” Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Also, Netflix Kids houses your favorites, Cars and Thomas the Train.
- Movies: Current favs are Finding Nemo and “Monshters” Inc!
Toys: You still love your choo-choos, but your most recent love is that of “Cars.” Mama bought you some Cars toys for the pool and they basically go everywhere with you these days. You also still love balls and have found new enjoyment in coloring, puzzles (you are so smart!!), legos/ Mega Blocks, and stacking anything that can be stacked.
Words: You’re quite the parrot these days and will always repeat what we say when we ask. Mama and Dada are trying very hard to be careful not to teach you any words we don’t want you to learn!! 😉 Your vocabulary is improving each and everyday and you’re working very hard on putting words together to form sentences. You do have a tendency to repeat one word over and over again when it’s something you want, such as milk or cake (I wonder where that belly came from?!). You have your favorite phrases, such as “I do!” and “I sowwy.” And my personal favorite,,, “I you” (I love you). You know tons of animal sounds, names of family members, and are working on your shapes and colors as we speak! Before I know it we’ll be having conversations together!!
- Swim Class: currently in Little Swimmers 2 where you’re getting much better at kicking and you can pull yourself up on the side of the pool! Wall walking is NBD and you love jumping in the water belly first!
- Gymboree: you just moved up to Play + Learn 5 and still love Gymbo as much as you did as a baby!
Best Buddies! You are genuinely always so excited when Mama even mentions any of these names. You picked a good crowd to hang with, babe! Here’s a current list, in no particular order 🙂
- Dominic “Big D”
- Fiona “Fi”
- Etta “Ettie”
- Asher “Ashy”
- Tyler “Ty”
- Your Florida Friends! Luke, Jacob, Avery & Isaiah
Much to mama’s chagrin, we finally turned your carseat around in June. You were all sorts of scrunched so we thought we’d give it a try. And (not so much to my surprise) did you love it! A tv screen to watch movies, mama?! Ding ding ding! Entertaining you during road trips has never been easier now! It’s either this,,,
You are generally a very happy boy. You smile big whenever Mama or Dada walk into the room. You have the best belly laughs I have ever heard. You have some wicked crazy faces 😀 You are seriously persistent when there’s something you want. You are a goofball and love to jump, do yoga poses, and tackle us (thanks to Dad for teaching you this!!). You love to be outside and take or be taken on walks. You are back into throwing things all over the room (I thought that was a phase?!). And you are truly the best little boy we could’ve ever imagined.
We celebrated the big T-W-O with a trip to the zoo, ice cream, and presents.
And after you went to sleep, Mama and Dada cheersed to surviving two years of parenthood!
And as I always do in your letters,, here is what you looked like last year on your first birthday,,
,,, & this year!
Buddy, words can’t explain how much you mean to us. You bring joy to our everyday and hope to all of our tomorrows. We love you so much and can’t wait to see what this next year brings!!
Love, Mama (+ Dada)